The Tánaiste and Minister for Justice and Equality is reviewing the operation of the Defamation Act 2009, following section 5 of that Act.
The aim of this review is:
- to promote an exchange of views and experiences regarding the operation in practice of the changes made by the 2009 Act,
- to review recent reforms of defamation law in other relevant jurisdictions,
- to examine whether Irish defamation law, and in particular the Defamation Act 2009, remains appropriate and effective for securing its objectives: including in the light of any relevant developments since 2009,
- to explore and weigh the arguments (and evidence) for and against any proposed changes in Irish defamation law intended to better respond to its objectives, and
- to publish the outcomes of the review, with recommendations on appropriate follow-up measures.
The Department of Justice and Equality has invited contributions from members of the public to inform this review.
Closing Date for submissions: 31st December 2016, which was extended at the request of a number of stakeholders.
The documents below include submissions to the consultation with further submissions to be uploaded in due course.