88. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice and Equality if alternative means can be found to facilitate an application in view of the difficult experience in obtaining a passport from the home country in the case of a person (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [14645/19]


Minister for Justice and Equality (Deputy Charles Flanagan): I am advised by the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) of my Department that a valid passport is normally required to enable an applicant to register their permission to reside in the State. Where an applicant does not hold a valid passport, a temporary permission can be issued at the discretion of an immigration officer, to give them time to arrange for a new passport.
Queries in relation to the status of individual immigration cases may be made directly to the INIS of my Department by e-mail using the Oireachtas Mail facility which has been specifically established for this purpose. this service enables up to date information on such cases to be obtained without the need to seek information by way of the Parliamentary Questions process. The Deputy may consider using the e-mail service except in cases where the response from the INIS is, in the Deputy's view inadequate or too long awaited.