28. Deputy Shane Cassells asked the Minister for Justice and Equality the work that has taken place to date in identifying a site for the planned courthouse in Navan, County Meath, as part of Project Ireland 2040; and if a town centre site will be prioritised in order to help urban regeneration. [18060/19]
Minister for Justice and Equality (Deputy Charles Flanagan): As the Deputy is aware, under the provisions of the Courts Service Act 1998, management of the courts including the provision of accommodation for court sittings is the responsibility of the Courts Service which is independent in exercising its functions.
However, in order to be of assistance to the Deputy, I have had enquiries made and have been advised by the Courts Service that Navan Courthouse is currently sitting in a single courtroom at leased premises in Kennedy House, Navan, and criminal business has moved to Trim which is more suitable for custody business.
The Deputy will be aware that Navan is included among a number of developments in relation to Courts Service accommodation requirements that are outlined under the Government's National Development Plan 2018-2027 and the overall vision in Project Ireland 2040. These include:
- A major Family Law and Children's Court Complex on a site adjacent to the Four Courts at Hammond Lane in Dublin;
- Further new or refurbished courthouses in regional cities and county towns where facilities remain substandard (including Galway City, Wicklow Town, Portlaoise, Tralee and Roscommon);
- Construction of standard county town type court facilities at a number of locations in County Dublin and also in North Kildare, Bray and Navan;
- Regional Family Law Centres;
- Further provincial locations such as An Clochan Liath (Dungloe) to serve as the Gaeltacht court for the region, and Tuam; and
- A nationwide condition survey of all court buildings in the estate will be undertaken to determine their condition and identify works required in relation to any issues identified and meet ongoing maintenance requirements.
The precise allocation and timing of additional funding over the entire ten year period remains to be fully determined. In relation to Navan, I am also informed that the Courts Service has not yet identified a suitable site though a number of sites have been examined. As part of this process, consideration is given to a number of factors including site location and suitability to provide appropriate accommodation and facilities generally for court users.